Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Victor Wooten Experience

There was much anticipation before the June 5th performance of world renowned, five-time Grammy winner Victor Wooten and his band at Ram’s Head On Stage in Annapolis. I had not yet experienced the man and his music and was not quite sure what to expect. There was a sense of excitement in the air as the lights went down. Then the epic journey began. The Victor Wooten Band performed tunes from “Words and Tones” & “Sword and Stone” Mr. Wooten’s upcoming projects which will be available in September. They played renditions from his previous releases and one of my favorites, U Can’t Hold No Groove. There was also a delightful trip down memory lane with a melody of songs that included Tell Me Something Good  by Rufus & Chaka Khan, The Jackson Five’s I Want You Back, Stevie Wonder’s Overjoyed and several other classic hits. The band was comprised of four accomplished bassists, Wooten, Anthony Wellington, Steve Bailey, and Dave Welsch, all of which played other instruments as well at various times; two drummers, JD Blair and Derico Watson, and vocalist/keyboardist Krystal Peterson. When the show ended I was in a state of musical bliss. Words could not adequately describe the spectacular performance that evening. I never imagined that the Victor Wooten experience could get any better…..but it certainly did. Meeting Mr. Wooten was definitely the highlight of the evening. I was so mesmerized by his calm and peaceful demeanor that I became practically speechless. I was also astonished at how patient he was while taking pictures with fans and signing CD’s after performing for nearly two hours. Not only is he a musical innovator and virtuoso but he is one of the nicest people I have had the privilege and honor of meeting. I have truly been enlightened and inspired by Victor Wooten…..the “man” and his “music”.


Dave Welsch, Krystal Peterson,& Victor Wooten
Victor Wooten
 

 Victor Wooten & Anthony Wellington (my bass instructor and one of the BEST)
Photo by Irving Ransome


    

JD Blair, "The Groove Regulator"
Photo by Irving Ransome 
Bassist Irving Ransome & JD Blair, "The Groove Regulator"



Sensational vocalist Krystal Peterson




Victor Wooten & Anthony Wellington
Photo by Irving Ransome


 Peace & Blessings

5 comments:

  1. I really love the article. Very inspirational!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There are alot of talented musicians in the DMV. I also love this site. Thumbs up:0

      Delete
  2. I love the article and the pics. Together they had me reliving an awesome night! This site is a true blessing!! I really appreciate what you are doing here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the pics Iriving! You did a great job! That was an awesome night and thank you for your kind words!!!

    ReplyDelete